Mommy Makeover procedures
What procedures are involved in a mommy makeover?
Designed specifically to address common issues faced by women who have been through pregnancy and breastfeeding, the mommy makeover is a very popular combination of plastic surgery techniques.
The term “mommy makeover” can be a sort of catch-all phrase which refers to a combination of body contouring procedures that are performed together. These procedures improve the physical changes that linger in many women long after pregnancy.
Mommy makeovers are custom-tailored to fit each patient’s individual needs; however the surgical approach generally starts with a contouring procedure for the breast and abdomen. Then additional elements are added as needed.
CLICK HERE to request a free consultation
The typical components of a mommy makeover concentrate on the breasts and abdomen
Because they are the primary areas of change during pregnancy, mommy makeovers center around procedures to improve the breasts and abdomen.
Throughout a pregnancy and during the period of breastfeeding, breasts can enlarge greatly. A “return to normal” can lead to a significant loss in breast volume and noticeable sagging.
The abdominal muscles, skin and tissue stretch to accommodate a growing baby during pregnancy. After childbirth these abdominal layers often never bounce back to their taut, pre-baby shape.
CLICK HERE to see before and after photos of combined procedures from Edina Plastic Surgery patients
A mommy makeover may include these specific components:
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Lift
- Breast Reduction
- Tummy Tuck
- Thigh Lift
- Arm Lift
NOTE: Depending on the individual surgeon and the recommended set of procedures, a mommy makeover can be performed during one single operation, or for safety reasons, may be spread out over multiple surgical sessions.
Seven things you need to know about recovering from a mommy makeover
- Mommy makeovers at Edina Plastic Surgery will be performed as an outpatient surgery in our onsite outpatient surgical center. This allows you to recover at home.
- Although your recovery time will depend on the specific procedures included in your mommy makeover, plan on your recovery taking up to two weeks.
- You will need help around the house because you will be tired and tender for several days after your mommy makeover. Enlist assistance around the house from a family member or friend.
- Swelling can last for six months or longer. While some benefits of a mommy makeover are immediate, and others can be seen fairly quickly, the full results cannot be assessed until all swelling has subsided; and this can take from six months to a year.
- Vigorous exercise and heavy lifting should be avoided for at least six weeks. Moms can start lifting their babies after 2 – 3 weeks, but we recommend that they be very careful to avoid injury.
- A mommy makeover is for non-smokers, because smoking decreases circulation, delaying wound healing and substantially increasing the chance for serious complications to occur. Stop smoking for at least four weeks before and four weeks after your mommy makeover. Better yet, use this as a reason to stop smoking altogether.
- Only board-certified plastic surgeons like the surgeons at Edina Plastic Surgery should be chosen for mommy makeover procedures. Never risk your health and safety to cut corners or save money.
Mommy makeovers have a very high satisfaction rate. The majority of patients say that their mommy makeovers are life-changing; restoring their confidence and the pride in their appearance.