Mommy Makeovers After Pregnancy
Can a Mommy Makeover Restore My Pre-Baby Body?
A plastic surgery procedure that has received a great deal of media attention is the mommy makeover. Mommy makeovers have become increasingly popular, partly due to the fact that so many women are having children later in life. Women who have babies in their mid to late 30’s and beyond may be less resilient to “bouncing back to pre-pregnancy shape” than those of their younger counterparts.
“Many of the women that come to us for mommy makeovers are over 35,” says Dr. Robert Wilke, a board certified plastic surgeon at Edina Plastic Surgery. “Healthy women who are done having children can be excellent candidates for abdominoplasty, liposuction and a breast lift, reduction or augmentation.”
Not all “mommies” need the same “makeover”
Some women are lucky and are not negatively affected by pregnancy or breast feeding, while other women experience loose abdominal skin, separated abdominal muscles, droopy breasts and fat deposits in areas that are resistant to diet and exercise. In many cases these women need plastic surgery to achieve the kind of improvement that they are looking for.
A mommy makeover is a customized set of surgical procedures aimed at reversing the negative changes associated with childbearing. The board certified plastic surgeons at Edina Plastic Surgery will carefully listen to each patient and assess their individual needs. The ultimate goal with this procedure is a return to the “pre-baby body”.
The breasts and the abdomen are affected most during pregnancy
A typical mommy makeover often includes abdominoplasty combined with liposuction. Very frequently the patient also has a breast lift, reduction, or augmentation.
During mommy makeover procedures extra skin is removed, stretch marks are minimized and the breasts and body/abdomen are lifted to regain a comparable figure to pre-pregnancy form. The operations are all individually quite simple, but when combined together as a “whole solution”, the transformation from a mommy makeover can be incredible.
“The overall satisfaction rate for mommy makeovers is very high,” says Dr. Wilke. “Many women have told us that they are delighted with their transformation and the only regret they have is that they wish they had come in to see us sooner.”
A big benefit of the mommy makeover is that the patient has a single recovery vs. two or three separate ones. This shortens downtime from family and work as well as reducing the costs of anesthesia. Due in part to the popularity of television shows that focus on plastic surgery procedures, requests for multiple procedures done at one time are rising each year.
Many factors play a role in determining the ideal time to have a mommy makeover
- For the maximum benefit, women should be fairly certain that they are done having children.
- Women who have small children will need to have help in their homes to take care of the children during the recovery period, which can last between two and three weeks.
- We suggest that women take a minimum of two weeks off from work for recovery time, so the necessary vacation time should be factored into the equation.
- It is recommended that women who smoke quit a minimum of two weeks pre-surgery and need to refrain from smoking during the recovery period. The surgical flaps used for a tummy tuck or breast lift are particularly susceptible to compromise from the effects of smoking; so much so that skin loss is possible.
- A woman’s weight before surgery also plays a role in the recovery from a mommy makeover. Studies have shown that surgical risks for complications related to healing and infection are more frequent in patients with higher BMI (Body Mass Index). Ideally, patients should have a normal BMI which is a score below 25.
We specialize in mommy makeovers
The board certified plastic surgeons at Edina Plastic Surgery listen carefully to each patient and advise them on the most appropriate procedures for their mommy makeovers. During a span of more than 40 years of making patients more beautiful, we have helped women of all ages improve their bodies and boost their confidence.