What are some of the most common questions about rhinoplasty?
Patients have many questions about rhinoplasty and the demand for this procedure is still very strong.
- It is one of the top five most frequently performed surgical procedures. According to a survey conducted by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), there were more than 218,000 nose reshaping procedures performed in 2017.
- A rhinoplasty is not always done simply for cosmetic reasons; this procedure can often correct real issues. Many patients seeking nose reshaping surgery have breathing issues caused by a deviated septum or large turbinates, which is the portion of the nose that heats and filters air when you breathe. In these cases this surgery has the potential not only to reshape the nose aesthetically, but to help alleviate breathing difficulties.
- The techniques and aesthetic rules vary for men’s and women’s rhinoplasty. For instance, the angle and slope for a man’s nose is different from a woman’s. An experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is essential for a good outcome in nose reshaping. It is truly an art to perform a rhinoplasty that results in a nose that looks natural, functions properly and coordinates appropriately with other facial features.
- Patients can truly see a virtual model of what their own nose will look like post-surgery. Edina Plastic Surgery is the only practice in the Twin Cities with the Vectra XT camera. This technology captures 3D images of the nose and shows the possible outcomes of a rhinoplasty. The Vectra allows our surgeons to discuss the procedure with our patients while viewing realistic 3D images, and helps to set clear goals and expectations for the surgery.
- Contrary to myths published on the internet, when rhinoplasty is done correctly by a board-certified plastic surgeon, the tone/sound of a patient’s voice will not change.
- The surgery time for a rhinoplasty is short and the recovery is much easier than some patients may think. Depending on the complexity of the case, the surgery itself usually only takes between 1 – 2.5 hours. The recovery level is mild to moderate. The initial swelling subsides quickly, and many patients, especially those who take Arnica pre-surgery have only a minimal amount of post-procedure bruising.
- Two weeks pre-surgery, patients are asked to steer clear of aspirin, Advil, Motrin, and Aleve. Staying away from these types of pain relievers can help speed the recovery time after a rhinoplasty because use of these drugs can cause excess bleeding.
- Elevating your head while sleeping after having a rhinoplasty is a very good idea to help reduce nighttime swelling. Sleeping with two pillows is an easy and effective way to keep recovery time on track in the first few days following a rhinoplasty procedure.